Marble cake was always one of my favorite birthday cakes because the two batters look so special.
Top this marble cake with chocolate icing or a thin chocolate glaze. Bake the cake in a tube cake pan or bundt cake pan.
- 2 1/4 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 7 eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 squares (2 ounces) unsweetened chocolate, melted
1. Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt into a large mixing bowl.
2. Make a well in the center of dry ingredients; add oil, 7 egg yolks, cold water, and vanilla. Beat until smooth.
3. In another bowl, beat the 7 egg whites until stiff peaks form. Pour egg yolk mixture over the entire surface of egg whites, gently folding in to blend.
4. Remove 1/3 of the batter to another bowl. Blend boiling water, sugar and chocolate; fold into the smaller portion of batter.
5. Spoon half of the light batter into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan; top with half of the chocolate batter. Repeat layers.
6. With a butter knife or narrow spatula, swirl batters gently to marbleize.
Bake at 325° F (165° C/Gas Mark 3) for 65 minutes. Invert and cool. Frost marble cake with chocolate butter frosting or drizzle with a chocolate glaze.
You Might Also Like
Marble Loaf Cake
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|