Serve this flavorful sauce with steak or roast beef.
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped)
- 1 large clove garlic (minced)
- 1/2 cup green onions (finely chopped)
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup cooked ham (finely diced)
- 1/2 cup mushrooms (finely chopped)
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cup dry red wine (such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Noir, or Merlot)
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme (dried leaf, crumbled)
- 1/2 cup parsley (fresh and finely chopped)
- salt and pepper, to taste
1. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat; sauté the onion, garlic, green onions, and ham for five minutes, until onions are tender. Add the chopped mushrooms and cook for 3 minutes longer.
2. Blend in the flour and cook, stirring, for 4 minutes. Add the Worcestershire sauce, beef broth, wine, thyme, and bay leaf. Simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally to prevent scorching, until the sauce thickens, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
3. Stir in parsley. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
Serve with steaks or roast beef. Makes about 3 cups.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||11 g|
|Saturated Fat||6 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||4 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|