This fabulous crock pot taco soup is loaded with flavor and great ingredients, and you'll be surprised at how simple it is to prepare. Taco seasoning and ranch dressing mix give the soup its superb flavor, so you don't have to have a dozen individual spices on hand.
Top the soup with crunchy tortilla chips or tortilla strips (found in the salad and croutons section of the supermarket) or garnish the soup with chopped fresh cilantro, green onions, shredded cheese, or avocado.
The soup is open to all kinds of possibilities. Feel free to swap out the beans for other canned beans. Navy beans, great northern beans, and small red beans are all good choices. Or saute some chopped fresh onion and diced bell peppers—green or red—along with the ground beef, or add some sliced mushrooms. For a little more zing, mince a jalapeno pepper and add it along with the tomatoes and vegetables, or add a can of chopped mild green chili peppers. Crushed red pepper flakes are another good option if you crave the heat.
If you find the soup a little too thick for your taste, add a cup or two of unsalted beef stock or water.
Serve this ground beef and beans taco soup with crusty bread or cornbread, along with a simple tossed salad for a delicious family meal. It's a great soup for lunch, too!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (15-ounce) can whole kernel corn (undrained)
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans (undrained)
- 1 (15-ounce) can red kidney beans (undrained)
- 1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans (undrained)
- 1 (1-ounce) envelope ranch dressing mix
- 1 (1-ounce) envelope taco seasoning
- Optional garnishes: tortilla chips, shredded cheese, sour cream, avocado, cilantro
Place a large, heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the ground beef and cook, stirring and breaking up, until it is well browned and no longer pink.
Meanwhile, pour the crushed tomatoes into the slow cooker along with the corn and beans (undrained). Add the dry ranch dressing mix and taco seasoning. Stir to combine thoroughly.
Transfer the browned ground beef to the slow cooker and stir until well combined.
Cover the pot and cook on the low setting for 4 to 6 hours.
Taste and adjust the seasonings, as desired.
Serve with tortilla chips, sour cream, and shredded cheese, or serve with crusty rolls or cornbread.
- Stovetop Directions: Brown the ground beef in a large Dutch oven or stockpot. Add the corn, black beans, and pinto beans with their liquids along with the drained kidney beans. Stir in the dressing mix and taco seasoning. Add 1 cup of unsalted beef stock and cover the pot. Bring to a simmer over medium heat; reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Scale the recipe up and freeze extra for a future meal. Label the container(s) with name and date and freeze for up to 3 months.
- For a lower fat soup, make it with ground turkey instead of beef.
- Add a 4-ounce can of chopped mild green chili peppers or a few tablespoons of minced jalapeno peppers to the soup.
- Sauté 1 cup of chopped onions with the ground beef.