The Margarita Jelly Shot is a fun and easy recipe that adapts the famous Margarita into a tasty Jell-O Shot. These jiggly little shots are a ton of fun to serve at parties and you will get just as much enjoyment out of making them as your friends do 'drinking' them.
The recipe is extremely easy and there's not much more to it than adding booze to the mix while you're making gelatin. There are a few tricks to making Jell-O Shots, though. Most important of those is to keep the alcohol at a level so the gelatin can set up. If you pour too much tequila, you will have a sloppy mess.
Give this recipe a try and use it as a foundation for creating your own custom Jell-O Shots. It's just one example of how easy it is to make these fun shooters taste like many of our favorite cocktails.
- Mix the tequila, lime, and triple sec with cold water and chill in the refrigerator so they are a consistent temperature.
- Pour one package of gelatin into a bowl.
- Add the boiling water, stirring until the gelatin is completely dissolved.
- Stir in the chilled liquor and water mix and add food coloring if you want to enhance the color.
- Pour the mix into shot glasses, molds, or a baking pan for a sheet of gelatin to cut up once set.
- Refrigerate until the liquid sets completely. (At least 2 hours, but overnight is recommended.)
- Serve cold.
This recipe is for a single, 3-ounce box of gelatin, which is the most common size. It will make about 16 1-ounce shots and you can multiply the recipe to make more or to fit bigger cups.
Tip: Small, plastic shot cups are perfect for Jell-O shots because the drinker can just squeeze the shot into their mouth.
Choose Your Margarita Flavor
While this particular jelly shot is lime-flavored, you can choose to make it in any flavor you like. Just like the many flavors of the Margarita, this Jell-O Shot can take on the flavor of strawberry, apple, pineapple, or whatever your heart desires. All you need to do is change out the gelatin. There is even a Margarita-flavored Jell-O (though it's essentially lime).
As you're playing around with these shots, keep a few things in mind:
- The fresh lime juice really is nice and highly recommended for any Margarita Jelly Shot. It adds a spark to the shot that takes it a step above simply being spiked gelatin.
- To enhance any fruit flavor, feel free to add a little juice. You can even use unflavored gelatin and rely completely on a juice for the fruity flavor. To do this, replace the cold water with the cold juice of your choice.
- Don't forget that you can layer your Jell-O Shots! Create a Margarita bonanza in your shot cups by mixing up two or more flavors and layering them. Remember to allow the bottom layer to set before mixing and adding the next layer.
- If the color of your gelatin is not quite bright enough for your liking, add 2-3 drops of food color during the final mixing session.
More Jell-O Shots From Our Favorite Cocktails
Cocktails that we have enjoyed for years are the perfect inspiration for Jell-O Shot flavors. In most cases, it's very easy to take any fruity drink and rearrange the liquor and flavors into a tasty little shot.
Here are a few ideas to get you started, but by all means, don't stop here! There's a vast world of Jell-O Shots waiting for your creative spin.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||0 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|