Marie's pinto beans are flavored with bacon and salsa.
Related Recipe: Southern Pinto Beans With Ham Hocks, Crock Pot
- 1 small bag of dry pinto beans (1 pound)
- 8 ounces bacon, or more, as desired
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- Optional: chopped fresh cilantro
- Small jar of salsa, or to taste
- Rinse the beans and soak overnight.
- Put the beans in the crockpot or slow cooker; cover with water (about 6 cups).
- Cover and cook on LOW heat 5 to 7 hours, or until beans are tender.
- When beans are tender, fry about 1/2 pound or more of bacon with the onion until bacon is cooked through and onion is clear; drain well.
- Add the drained bacon and onions to the beans along with a tablespoon or more of the drippings. Add chopped cilantro and salsa to taste.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 1 to 2 more hours.
From Marie: "So yummy, I always make 2 slow cookers to share with my brother."
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||16 g|
|Saturated Fat||5 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||7 g|
|Dietary Fiber||15 g|