This tangy marinated asparagus makes a great side dish or salad.
- 1 pound asparagus
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon vinegar (balsamic, sherry, or red wine)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- lettuce leaves
- Bring about 2 inches of water to a boil in a skillet large enough to lay asparagus flat.
- Add salt. Wash asparagus in cold water.
- Break off the tough base of each. Remove scales if they are large or sandy.
- Place spears in the boiling water.
- Quickly return water to a boil, then simmer gently for 5-7 minutes. Asparagus should be slightly crisp. Drain.
- Place in an oval dish to marinate. In a small bowl combine chopped onion with the vinegar, lemon juice, mustard, salt, and pepper.
- Whisk in olive oil.
- Pour over warm asparagus. Allow to marinate at room temperature until cool, then refrigerate until serving time.
- Return to room temperature before serving.
More Asparagus Recipes
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||7 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|