This flank steak is marinated a delicious mixture and served with sautéed mushrooms. This is a perfect way to turn in a tough flank steak into tender, delicious morsels.
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds/700 to 900 g flank steak
- 1/2 pound/225 g portobello mushrooms
- 1/2 pound/225 g cremini mushrooms
- 1 large shallot
- 1/4 cup/60 mL butter
- 2 scallions (green tops only)
- 1/2 cup/120 mL balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup/60 mL soy sauce, plus 1 tablespoon/15 mL soy sauce
- 1/4 cup/60 mL olive oil
- 3 tablespoons/45 mL sugar
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Season steak with salt and pepper.
- Combine 1/2 shallot, 1/4 cup (60 mL) balsamic vinegar, 2 tablespoons (30 mL) olive oil, 1 tablespoon (15 mL) sugar, and 2 tablespoons (30 mL) soy sauce in a resealable bag. Mix well.
- Add steaks and let sit for 2 hours or more.
- Cut portobello mushrooms in half then cut mushrooms (portobello and cremini) into 1/4 inch slices.
- Cut remaining half of shallot and scallion tops into 1/2 pieces. In a skillet melt 1/2 of the butter and add 1/2 of the shallots.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium for 1 minute. Add portobellos and season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer for 8 minutes and transfer to a bowl and keep warm.
- Repeat process with the cremini mushrooms except reduce the cooking time to 6 minutes.
- Add portobello pieces and keep warm.
- In a small bowl mix 2 tablespoons (30 mL) of sugar, 3 tablespoons (45 mL) of soy sauce and 1/4 cup (60 mL) of balsamic vinegar.
- Add to mushrooms and boil for 3 minutes or until the liquid is slightly reduced.
- Add scallions.
- Preheat grill.
- Remove steaks from bag and dispose of marinade.
- Grill steaks until done, about 8-10 minutes per side. Remove from grill and cut into strips cross grain. Serve with mushrooms.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||34 g|
|Saturated Fat||13 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||16 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|