This delicious grilled flank steak gets its spicy sweet flavor from a long marinade in jalapeño "juice" (the vinegar mixture from canned jalapeños), olive oil, and a nice blend of seasonings. This steak is excellent served with chimichurri sauce.
- 2 pounds flank steak
- 1 can (about 26 ounces) of pickled jalapeño peppers (en escabeche)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Garnish: Chimichurri sauce
- Open the can of jalapeño peppers and drain liquid into a bowl. Reserve jalapeno peppers for another use.
- Whisk soy sauce, brown sugar, olive oil, cumin and chili pepper into the jalapeño liquid.
- Peel and slice garlic into thin slices. Make small cuts in the flank steak with a sharp knife and place pieces of garlic into the spaces. Place the flank steak in a shallow dish and pour marinade over the steak. Marinate steak for at least 4 hours or preferably overnight.
- Preheat the grill. Remove the steak from the marinade and sprinkle both sides generously with salt and pepper.
- Cook the steak over high heat, turning once, about 5-6 minutes on each side, or until desired doneness.
- Remove steak from the grill, cover with foil, and let rest for 10 minutes. Slice steak very thinly across the grain, and serve with chimichurri sauce.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||31 g|
|Saturated Fat||8 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||18 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|