Lamb backstrap is a top grade cut of lamb that's perfect for marinating, barbecuing and grilling. It's tender and full of flavor.
In this recipe, lamb backstraps are marinated in Middle Eastern herbs and spices and then barbecued to perfection.
The lamb is accompanied by a light and refreshing cucumber yogurt and lemon wedges.
- For Marinade:
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon coriander (cilantro) (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon flat leaf parsley (finely chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 lbs./600g lamb backstraps
- For Yogurt:
- 3/4 cup natural yogurt
- 1/2 cucumber (peeled, deseeded, and chopped)
- 1 tablespoon mint (finely chopped)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Garnish: 1/2 lemon cut in half
- Combine the marinade ingredients together in a large non-reactive bowl. Add the lamb backstraps and mix well to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Prepare the cucumber yogurt just before cooking the lamb. Combine yogurt, cucumber, mint, lemon juice and salt together in a small bowl. Stir well and set aside.
- Heat grill or barbecue on a high heat. Cook lamb backstraps on all sides until medium rare -- about 8-10 minutes.
- Transfer lamb to a plate and cover loosely with foil for 5 minutes. After this time slice the lamb diagonally and then serve with cucumber yogurt and two lemon wedges.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||98 g|
|Saturated Fat||34 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||49 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|