This lemon chicken is flavored with garlic, fresh lemon juice, zest, and a little thyme. It's an easy and rewarding dish with bright, bold flavor. A garnish of parsley and slices of fresh lemon finish the dish perfectly.
Serve this flavorful lemon chicken with a rice pilaf, baked potato, or angel hair pasta and a salad for a fabulous meal.
- 5 pounds chicken parts
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 2 lemons, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Arrange the chicken pieces in single layer in a large nonreactive dish or put them in a large food storage bag which can be sealed.
- In a small bowl, whisk together lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic, dried thyme, salt, and pepper. Spoon the lemon mixture over chicken; cover or seal and refrigerate for 3 to 4 hours, turning frequently to keep the chicken coated with the marinade.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and drain well.
- Pour the marinade into a saucepan and set aside.
- Arrange the chicken in a shallow baking dish. Brush with melted butter. Bake at 425 F for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the marinade over high heat and bring it to a full boil.,
- Brush the marinade over the chicken pieces. Continue baking for about 20 to 30 minutes longer, or until the chicken is browned and thoroughly cooked,* basting frequently.
- Garnish the chicken with the lemon slices and sprinkle with chopped parsley.
- Boil remaining marinade for 1 minute and spoon some over the chicken just before serving, or serve separately.
*According to foodsafety.gov, chicken must be cooked to at least 165 F on a food thermometer inserted in a thick part of the chicken, not touching bone or fat.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||44 g|
|Saturated Fat||14 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||17 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|