An eye of round roast is one of the best choices for this oven roast, but it can be made with a sirloin tip roast or a similar roast. Or use a rump roast. The marinade helps tenderize and flavor the beef.
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon dried leaf thyme, crushed
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 boneless rump roast, about 3 pounds
- Combine water, soy sauce, ginger, sugar, thyme, and garlic in a large, resealable food storage bag (large enough to hold the beef roast).
- Pierce the roast all over with fork; place in bag. Close bag and turn to coat thoroughly. Seal and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight. Turn bag occasionally.
- Heat the oven to 325 F.
- Remove the roast from bag; return marinade to refrigerate. Place the beef on a rack in shallow pan. Roast, uncovered, for about 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, put the reserved marinade in a saucepan and bring to a rolling boil. Boil for 1 minute.
- Baste the roast with marinade during the last 30 minutes of roasting time.
Serves 6 to 8.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|