This wonderful recipe for Marinated Steak is a great way to turn a less tender cut into something wonderful. The longer the meat marinates, the better it is. I like using this marinade on round steak, sirloin steak, and even ribeye steak (for about an hour). The marinade tenderizes the meat by breaking down some of the fibers.
All marinades need something acidic. Some recipes use wine, others vinegar or lemon or lime juice. There should be more acidic ingredients than oil in these recipes, simply because the steak has enough fat all on its own.
If you don't want to use red wine, substitute 1/3 cup beef broth and 3 tbsp. apple cider vinegar to marinate the meat. Or you can add some different herbs or spices to the recipe. Use dried oregano leaves instead of the thyme, or use chili powder and cumin to make the recipe more Tex-Mex. This simple recipe can be used with just about any cut of beef.
The steak can be grilled, pan-fried, or broiled after it's marinated. If you're pan-frying, pour the remaining marinade over the steak about 2 minutes before you're ready to serve it to add more flavor. The marinade must be heated before you can eat it, because it may contain bacteria from the raw meat.
Enjoy this simple recipe with a green salad tossed with cucumbers and avocados. For dessert, all you need is some ice cream and decadent toppings.
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh thyme OR 2 tsp. dried thyme leaves
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 2 lb. top round boneless steak, 1" thick
1. In large shallow glass dish, combine wine, thyme, oil, garlic, salt and pepper.
2. Add steak and turn to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate in refrigerator for 8-24 hours, turning steak occasionally to coat with marinade.
3. Prepare and heat grill.
4. Place steak on greased grill over hot coals; brush with marinade to coat. Cover grill and cook steak for 7 to 8 minutes per side or until medium, or 145°F on a meat thermometer.
5. Remove steaks from grill, cover, and let stand for 5 minutes before carving. Discard remaining marinade.
7. Cut remaining steak into serving size pieces. You can also thinly slice remaining half across the grain on an angle and serve.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||22 g|
|Saturated Fat||6 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||11 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|