These marinated top round steaks can be cooked on the grill or under the broiler, or use a stovetop or electric grill for the steaks. The steaks should marinate in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours. I marinate in a sealed plastic food storage bag, but any nonreactive container or bowl may be used. Turn the steaks frequently to keep them coated.
Top round is a lean and flavorful cut and is also easy on the budget. It's best when marinated and cooked to medium-rare (145 F). Serve the steak sliced thinly against the grain. You may substitute flank steak, London broil, or round steak for top round steaks.
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil or canola oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce (preferably low sodium)
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon ketchup or tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Dijon or Creole mustard or a similar brown or gourmet mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely minced fresh garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf oregano
- dash crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds top round steak
- Combine the oil, vinegar, soy sauce, Worcestershire, ketchup, mustard, garlic, pepper, oregano, and crushed red pepper flakes.
- Put the steak in a large food storage bag or nonreactive container; pour the marinade over the steak. Turn to coat the steak, seal the bag, and refrigerate for 4 to 8 hours. If the steak isn't completely coated with the marinade, turn it frequently.
How to Broil the Steak
- Broil the steak about 2 to 3 inches from the heat source for about 6 to 9 minutes on each side, depending on thickness.
How to Grill the Steak
- Grill over medium coals for about 5 to 10 minutes on each side or until the steak is done as desired.
- Rare: 120° F - 125° F (48.9° C to 51.6° C)
- Medium-rare: 130° F - 135° F (54.4° C to 57.2° C)
- Medium: 140° F - 145° F (60° C to 62.8 °C)
- Medium-well: 150° F - 155° F (65.5° C to 68.3° C)
- Well done: 160° F (71.1 °C) and above
Note: According to foodsafety.gov,145 F is the minimum safe temperature for beef, pork, and lamb.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||174 g|
|Saturated Fat||59 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||84 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|