You can make this sweet potato casserole in advance. Just bake the sweet potatoes without the marshmallows, cool, wrap tightly and refrigerate. Just before serving, heat in a 350 degree-oven for about 15 minutes, then add the marshmallows and bake 5-10 minutes longer.
- 5 large sweet potatoes (4 to 5 lbs.)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup firmly-packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 package (10.5 ounces) miniature marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 1-1/2 to 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Wash and prick potatoes with a fork several times. Place on a baking sheet and bake 1 hour. Alternatively, place on a paper towel in the microwave, and heat on high 6-12 minutes until soft.
- Let potatoes cool. Peel and place sweet potato pulp in a food processor.*
- Add remaining ingredients except marshmallows. Puree until smooth. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake 30 minutes. Remove from oven. Spread marshmallows over top of casserole. Bake another 5-10 minutes on the top rack, until the marshmallows brown.
*The reason I use a food processor is to make sure the stringy parts of the baked sweet potatoes get smoothly mixed in. Alternatively, you could use a blender (though it's messier), or an electric mixer.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||14 g|
|Saturated Fat||7 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||4 g|
|Dietary Fiber||9 g|