|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 2 cups sauce (4-8 servings)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 23g||30%|
|Saturated Fat 13g||66%|
|Total Carbohydrate 1g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||0%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
If you're looking for a gorgonzola pasta sauce, here's a simple and easy way to make one at home with just a few simple ingredients. This is a recipe for a creamy Italian two-cheese pasta sauce which is made with Mascarpone and Gorgonzola cheeses - and nearly nothing else. This homemade gorgonzola and mascarpone pasta sauce is for serious cheese lovers only!
No one is going to claim this rich Mascarpone and Gorgonzola cheese sauce is healthy, but you could always serve it over broccoli instead of pasta, if you want to pretend!
Assuming you'll actually serve this over pasta, however, which shape will be best to use? With such a heavy sauce, you could opt for a lighter pasta, such as angel hair, which is one of my own personal favorites, or, go traditional with fettuccine. Another option would be to pair it with a stuffed pasta, such as just about any tortellini, but in that case, go a bit easy on the sauce, so you don't overpower the flavor of the pasta. I'd avoid tubular shapes, such as penne, but just about anything else would work - bowtie, corkscrew or whatever you prefer.
This classic Italian cheese sauce calls for a nice bottle of wine to go along with it. Try something nice and crisp, like a chilled chardonnay, or even a rose. If the thought of a white wine or a rose doesn't sound appealing to you, another option is a medium-bodied red wine, such as a merlot. Add a green salad - a Caesar salad might be nice - and you've got yourself a nice full meal in just a few minutes. Enjoy!
- 1 1/2 cups gorgonzola cheese (grated)
- 1 1/2 cups mascarpone cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter (or margarine)
- 1 tablespoon Italian blend spices (or use a blend of oregano and parsley)
- 1 dash salt and pepper, to taste (sea salt or kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper is always best)
- Gather the ingredients.
- First, in a medium-sized saucepan, melt the mascarpone cheese and gorgonzola cheese together over medium-low heat until well combined.
- Stir in the butter or margarine mixing everything together just until well combined, then add in the Italian blend spices and a bit of salt and fresh cracked black pepper, to taste.
- Serve your two cheese pasta sauce immediately over prepared pasta or vegetables.
Like this two-cheese pasta sauce? Here's a few more vegetarian pasta sauces you might want to try: