The beautiful thing about this quick and easy pasta dish recipe is that it succeeds in tasting both rich and light. How is that possible? The sauce is made with a combination of creamy mascarpone cheese and a lively amount of lemon. The richness comes from the mascarpone cheese and the citrus brings a brightness to the dish, so it's not too heavy. Marscapone cheese can be found in the dairy or cheese section of any better grocery store.
Once you read this recipe, consider it a jumping off point for any number of variations. You can use any type of pasta with this lemon mascarpone pasta sauce. To increase the nutritional value and color of the pasta dish, add vegetables to the pasta. Frozen peas are a super quick addition and sauteed greens would be especially good and are an easy way to use up any excess greens you may have taking up room in your refrigerator. If you prefer a protein-based addition, consider adding cooked chicken, shrimp, or prosciutto to the dish.
If you bought mascarpone cheese for another recipe and have some leftover, look no further! This sauce is a great way to use up leftover mascarpone since it only requires half a cup. Or, you can buy a new container of mascarpone and use half for this recipe and the rest to make sweet mascarpone and honey spread. Now you'll have dinner and dessert ready with just a few simple steps.
Note that this recipe is super quick to prepare. The sauce comes together in the time it takes to boil the water and cook the pasta. If you will be adding any sauteed vegetables or protein to your version of this dish, be sure to cook those additions ahead of time. Keep your meat or vegetables warm and add them to the mascarpone cheese sauce in step two.
- 8 ounces uncooked pasta
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup mascarpone
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup finely chopped herbs (parsley, basil, oregano)
- Bring a pot of salted water to boil to cook your pasta.
- In a small bowl mix together the lemon juice, mascarpone, and salt.
- When the pasta has cooked according to the package instructions, reserve 1/4 cup of the pasta cooking water before draining the pasta.
- Put the drained pasta into a large serving bowl and stir in the mascarpone cheese sauce until it is mostly melted into the noodles. If the pasta seems too dry or the mascarpone too thick, then drizzle in the reserved water as needed and stir to smooth the sauce out.
- Garnish the pasta with fresh herbs, black pepper, and sea salt. Serve immediately.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||1 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|