Rutabagas add amazing flavor to these mashed potatoes. The potatoes are mashed with just a small amount of butter, and you can use low-fat milk to make them lighter.
- 3 pounds rutabaga, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 to 2 1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces, about 5 or 6 medium
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, or to taste
- 2 teaspoons chopped parsley, optional
- Cook rutabaga and potatoes in salted water in separate saucepans.
- When both are tender, remove from heat. Rutabaga will take about 30 minutes, and potatoes will take about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Drain; puree or mash rutabaga well, then mash the potatoes. Combine mashed rutabaga and potatoes; add butter, milk, pepper, and nutmeg. Beat well. Taste and add more salt if necessary. Garnish with chopped parsley, if desired.
More Rutabaga Recipes
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||5 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g|