|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
This meat loaf is dressed up with an easy and delicious mushroom gravy. Make this flavorful meatloaf and serve with mashed potatoes and green beans or carrots.
- 2 pounds ground beef, 85% lean
- 2 tablespoons grated onion
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup quick oats
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried herb blends, such as fines herbes, or dried leaf sage or thyme
- Optional: 1/2 teaspoon crushed garlic
- Mushroom Gravy:
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 12 to 16 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups beef stock
- 1 teaspoon Gravy Master, Kitchen Bouquet or other gravy browning sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
Preheat the oven to 350 F.
Lightly grease a 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pan
In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, grated onion, egg, oats, milk, 1/4 cup of ketchup, Worcestershire, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, herbs, and garlic, if using. Blend well.
Pack the meatloaf mixture loosely in the prepared loaf pan. Bake 1 1/2 hours.
Meanwhile, prepare the gravy. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter with oil.
Sauté the mushrooms, stirring, until tender and browned and the liquid has evaporated. Stir in flour until well blended.
Add the beef stock and continue cooking, stirring, until thickened.
Add the gravy browning sauce (Gravy Master, Kitchen Bouquet, etc.) and Worcestershire sauce.
Continue simmering, uncovered, stirring frequently, for 3 minutes. Taste and add salt and pepper, as needed.
Spoon the gravy over the sliced meatloaf or serve it in a bowl on the side.