|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
Meatloaf French Bread Pizza is a delicious and easy way to use leftover meatloaf. No one will notice that the savory meat in this pizza is meatloaf from Tuesday! You could also use meatloaf to make a regular pizza using a premade crust.
You can top this meatloaf with more pizza toppings if you'd like. Add some pepperoni to the top, or for a spicy kick, blend some chopped green chiles into the pizza sauce. Use other types of bell peppers, add some garlic, or omit the onion. The nice thing about cooking recipes such as this one is that you can change them without failing. This recipe is tolerant.
1 loaf French bread, sliced lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups crumbled leftover meatloaf
- 1-1/4 cups pizza sauce
- 2 cups shredded CoJack cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Hollow out the French bread slices, leaving about 1/2" shell. Freeze the removed bread to use for bread crumbs.
2. Brush the hollowed-out loaves with olive oil and place on a cookie sheet with sides. Bake for 5 minutes until just the bread is just starting to toast. Remove from oven and set aside.
3. In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and bell pepper; cook 4 minutes. Add the mushrooms; cook 4 to 5 minutes longer. Add the meatloaf; stir gently, and heat through.
4. Spread the pizza sauce over the toasted bread halves. Pile the meatloaf mixture onto the bread and sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 5 to 9 minutes until bread is crisp, pizzas are hot, and cheese is melted and just starts to brown. Cut into slices and serve.