|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 10g||13%|
|Saturated Fat 3g||17%|
|Total Carbohydrate 10g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||2%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Meatloaf muffins are a nice change from the average meatloaf. There's no trick to the recipe; you'll simply bake a basic meatloaf mixture in muffin tins for smaller servings. It's a fun alternative that you may recognize from diner menus, and they're sure to be a hit with kids. It's also the ideal dinner when short on time, as the muffins take about a third of the time to cook compared to a full meatloaf.
One of the great things about meatloaf is its amazing versatility. It's easy to "hide" grated carrots or other vegetables in the meat mixture, add a bit of cheese with the ketchup topping, or turn them into meatloaf sliders. Serve the meatloaf muffins along with chips, fries, or mashed potatoes and a vegetable. The muffins freeze well, too, so it's a fantastic recipe for meal prep menus.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic (finely minced)
- 1 1/2 pounds chuck ground beef
- 1/2 cup soft fine breadcrumbs
- 1 cup ketchup (divided)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 large egg (beaten)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
Gather the ingredients.
In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion to the pan and sauté until lightly browned and tender.
Add the finely minced garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute longer.
In a bowl, combine the ground beef with the breadcrumbs, 1/2 cup of the ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, beaten egg, thyme, oregano, ground black pepper, and salt.
Add the sautéed vegetables, mixing until well blended.
Pack the meat mixture into the prepared muffin cups.
Bake the meatloaf muffins for 20 minutes.
Top each meatloaf muffin with a few teaspoons of the remaining ketchup. Return to the oven and bake for about 5 to 10 minutes longer.
The meatloaf muffins should register at least 160 F on an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of one.
Serve and enjoy.
- If the muffin cups are slightly overfilled, place a rimmed baking pan or sheet of foil under the muffin tin to catch any overflow.
- Make a big batch of meatloaf muffins and freeze them for future lunches or dinners. When making ahead, bake the meatloaf muffins without a topping. After baking, place the muffins on a baking sheet and move them to the freezer. When they are frozen solid, transfer them to freezer bags. Label with the name and date and freeze for up to three months.
- Reheat meatloaf muffins in a 350 F oven for about 35 to 45 minutes, or until they register 165 F (the minimum safe temperature for leftovers). Add a ketchup topping just before they're ready and enjoy.