|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: Serves 6 to 8|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 18g||23%|
|Saturated Fat 7g||36%|
|Total Carbohydrate 9g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||5%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Frozen mixed vegetables make this meatloaf easy and full-flavored, and the vegetables add some extra nutrients to the mix. The meatloaf is a great way to get kids to eat their vegetables.
Add some shredded cheddar cheese to the meatloaf to give it extra flavor and texture. Use about 1/2 pound of lean ground pork with the ground beef for a moister meatloaf.
Bacon-Wrapped Meat Loaf
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 2 cups soft bread cubes
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 1/2 cups frozen mixed vegetables (10 or 12 ounces), steamed as directed
Heat the oven to 350 F.
Line a rimmed baking sheet or baking pan with foil.
In a large bowl, pour milk over bread cubes and let stand until milk is absorbed.
To the bread and milk mixture add the chopped onion, ground beef, salt, eggs, and dry mustard; blend well.
Stir in vegetables.
Place the meat mixture in the prepared baking pan and shape it into an oblong loaf. Alternatively, pack gently into a large loaf pan.
Bake the meatloaf in a preheated oven for 1 1/2 hours.
Let stand for 5 minutes before turning out of pan and slicing.
Tips and Variations
- Top the meatloaf with ketchup or barbecue sauce just before it's finished baking.
- Add about 1 cup of shredded cheese to the meatloaf mixture along with the vegetables.
- Add cheese slices — American, mozzarella, cheddar, etc. — to the top of the loaf and return it to the oven. Bake for a few minutes, or until the cheese has melted.
- To make the meatloaf more appealing to kids, chop the vegetables into finer pieces and bake the meat mixture in muffin cups.