|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: Serves 6 to 8|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 18g||23%|
|Saturated Fat 7g||36%|
|Total Carbohydrate 9g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||5%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Frozen mixed vegetables make this meatloaf easy and full-flavored, and the vegetables add some extra nutrients to the mix. The meatloaf is a great way to get kids to eat their vegetables.
Add some shredded cheddar cheese to the meatloaf to give it extra flavor and texture. Use about 1/2 pound of lean ground pork with the ground beef for a moister meatloaf.
Bacon-Wrapped Meat Loaf
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 2 cups soft bread cubes
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 1/2 cups frozen mixed vegetables (10 or 12 ounces), steamed as directed
- Gather the ingredients.
- Heat the oven to 350 F. Line a rimmed baking sheet or baking pan with foil.
- In a large bowl, pour milk over bread cubes and let stand until milk is absorbed.
- To the bread and milk mixture add the chopped onion, ground beef, salt, eggs, and dry mustard; blend well. Stir in vegetables.
- Place the meat mixture in the prepared baking pan and shape it into an oblong loaf. Alternatively, pack gently into a large loaf pan.
- Bake the meatloaf in a preheated oven for 1 1/2 hours.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before turning out of pan and slicing.
Tips and Variations
Top the meatloaf with ketchup or barbecue sauce just before it's finished baking.
Add about 1 cup of shredded cheese to the meatloaf mixture along with the vegetables.
Add cheese slices — American, mozzarella, cheddar, etc. — to the top of the loaf and return it to the oven. Bake for a few minutes, or until the cheese has melted.
To make the meatloaf more appealing to kids, chop the vegetables into finer pieces and bake the meat mixture in muffin cups.