This meatloaf gets its zesty flavor from horseradish and a ketchup topping. Feel free to leave the horseradish out of the meatloaf if you aren't a fan, or replace it with a tablespoon or two of grainy mustard.
A ground beef ratio of 80/20 will give you the juiciest and most flavorful loaf. A special meatloaf pan with a perforated insert allows the excess fat to drip into the outer pan and away from the meat.
- Heat the oven to 375 F.
- Peel the onion and chop it finely.
- Melt the butter in a skillet over medium-low heat; add the onion and green pepper and cook for about 5 to 7 minutes, or until the onion is softened and translucent.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, oats, eggs, tomato juice, salt, paprika, mustard, and horseradish, if using. Add the onions and peppers and mix gently until well blended.
- Spoon the meatloaf mixture into a greased loaf pan or meatloaf pan and pack gently. Spread the ketchup over top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- If desired, check the meatloaf temperature with an instant-read thermometer. The minimum safe temperature for ground meat is 165 F. For ground poultry, the minimum safe temperature is 160 F.