|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: Makes 2 1/2 cups (serves 10)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 3g||3%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||7%|
|Total Carbohydrate 14g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||3%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Traditionally, Memphis Barbecue is served without a sauce. However, since rules are made to be broken, many Memphis BBQ Joints have sauces available, either on the side or by special order. This sauce captures the complexity of Memphis Barbecue in a rich sauce that has a mixture or sweet and vinegar with a hint of heat. A good Memphis Barbecue Sauce is thinner than most tomato based sauces.
- 1 cup/240 mL ketchup
- 1/2 cup/120 mL apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup/120 mL water
- 1/4 cup/60 mL pureed onion
- 2 tablespoons/30 mL minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons/30 mL butter
- 2 tablespoons/30 mL molasses
- 2 tablespoons/30 mL brown sugar
- 1 tablespoons/15 mL prepared mustard
- 1/2 tablespoon/7.5 mL Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon/7.5 mL paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon/7.5 mL mild chili powder
- 2 teaspoons/10 mL dried oregano
- 1 teaspoons/5 mL dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 mL salt
Melt butter in a saucepan over a medium heat. Add onion and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and cook for 15 to 20 seconds or until it becomes fragrant. Do not let the garlic burn or it will cause the sauce to become bitter.
Add remaining ingredients (vinegar last), reduce heat and simmer over low for 12 to 15 minutes. Stir every so often.
Remove sauce from heat and let cool for 20 minutes.
Use right away or store in an airtight container or jar in the refrigerator for up to 1 week after preparation.
To rewarm sauce, microwave for 30 seconds at a time until it reaches room temperature. Serve on the side.
Use sauce on any meats and vegetables. This can be served as a side sauce or table sauce.