|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
Memphis barbecue sauce is considered by many barbecue enthusiasts to be the best all-purpose barbecue sauce recipe. It has a great balance between hot, sweet and tangy. It's traditionally served with pork but works just fine with beef and chicken.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup onion (minced)
- 4 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1/3 cup yellow mustard
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Optional: 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
In a saucepan, sauté the onion, garlic, and salt, in the vegetable oil for 5 minutes on medium-low heat.
Add the rest of the ingredients, and bring to a simmer.
Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes, or until the sauce reaches desired thickness.
Taste and adjust seasoning.