|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
In Memphis, the rub is considered the most important ingredient aside from the meat. Often ribs are served with only a rub and without sauce. This means that this barbecue rub has to provide all the flavor to make Memphis Style Barbecue. This rub starts with a generous portion of paprika and then builds a slightly spicy but definitely savory profile to help you make the most of your barbecue. This Memphis Rub is particularly good on ribs but can be used on any smoked meats.
- 1/2 cup/120 mL paprika
- 1/4 cup/60 mL garlic powder
- 1/4 cup/60 mL mild chili powder (use medium or hot to kick up the heat)
- 3 tablespoons/45 mL salt
- 3 tablespoons/45 mL black pepper
- 2 tablespoons/30 mL onion powder
- 2 tablespoons/30 mL celery seeds
- 1 tablespoon/15 mL brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon/15 mL dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon/15 mL dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon/15 mL cumin
- 2 teaspoons/10 mL dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons/10 mL ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons/10 mL ground allspice
Mix together all ingredients until well combined. Store in an airtight container. May be stored for up to 6 months if kept in a cool, dry place.
To use, apply rub evenly over ribs. The general rule is what sticks is the perfect amount.