In Memphis, ribs are traditionally served up dry. This doesn't mean that the meat is tough and dried out, there just isn't a barbecue sauce. This traditional Memphis barbecue rub recipe is the base of a great rack of pork ribs. You can adjust the heat by changing the amount of cayenne.
- 1/4 cup/60 mL paprika
- 2 tablespoons/30 mL salt
- 2 tablespoons/30 mL onion powder
- 2 tablespoons/30 mL fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon/15 mL cayenne
- Gather the ingredients.
- Mix ingredients together. Store in an airtight container for up to 6 months after preparation.
- Spread evenly on prepared ribs that have been patted dry and let sit until the rub appears moist.