This meringue torte recipe is one of the best and most elegant ways to use leftover egg whites. Meringue tortes have been around forever in almost every culture. A meringue cake in Czech is pĕnový dort bezé. Poles call meringues bezy and Hungarians say habcsók. When sweetened whipped egg whites are piped into round disks and baked, they become the "cake" layers for a torte filled with custard, whipped cream and fruit. Nut meringues also exist. Next time you separate eggs, freeze the egg whites.
- 5 large egg whites (room temperature)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar (confectioners,' sifted)
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream (heavy, whipped)
- Garnish: Chocolate shavings or fresh berries or sliced fruit
- Heat oven to 250 F. Draw two 9-inch circles on parchment paper separated by at least 2 inches. Flip the paper over, place it on a baking sheet, and lightly coat the paper with cooking spray.
- In a perfectly grease-free bowl or stand mixer, beat the egg whites until stiff. Gradually beat in the granulated sugar, and then beat in vanilla. Sprinkle a tablespoon or so of the confectioners' sugar at a time over the top of the egg whites and gently fold it in by hand.
- Using a piping bag, pipe the meringue into concentric circles following the outline of the circles. OR, using the back of a spoon or a spatula, spread the meringue into circle shapes, following the guidelines on the parchment paper, and level out.
- Bake 30 minutes if you like a marshmallowy interior or 40 minutes for a crispier texture. Leave pan in the oven but turn off the oven and leave the door ajar about 2 inches. Let meringue cool completely in the oven.
- Because the meringue is so sweet, the whipped cream doesn't have to be sweetened. Combine whipped cream with chocolate shavings or fresh berries or other sliced fruit. Place one cooled meringue disk on a serving platter, spread with half of the cream, top with second meringue disk and remaining cream. While this is best served as close to assembly as possible, it will keep refrigerated, but the meringue will become a little soggy.
More Meringue Torte Recipes
Nut Meringue Torte Recipe
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||2 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|