How well do you know Mexican cuisine? We can help you to find out. Whether you do this quiz by yourself or print it out to distribute among the guests at your Mexican-themed party, it will give you a chance to think about some of the best known and loved Mexican food items.
No, don't cheat and skip to the answer section just yet. Read the following questions and write down or remember your responses. Only after you have done that, scroll down to check your answers and score.
Good luck… and may the chile pods be ever in your favor!
Mexican Cuisine Basic Trivia Questions
- Masa, a ubiquitous ingredient in authentic Mexican cuisine, is made out of what grain?
- What two basic ingredients are used to make corn tortillas?
- Carne asada is usually made with what type of meat?
- This item consists of a filling (often meat, sometimes vegetables) inside a folded-in-half tortilla. It is a _____.
- What type of alcohol is a margarita made with?
- Huevos is the Spanish word for what popular food item?
- What is ajo?
- What holiday is pan de muerto made for?
- What Mexican bean dish is generally used as the beginning of any other bean dish (such as refried beans)?
- What is the name of the milk-based Mexican dessert that is usually covered with caramel?
Answers to Beginner Mexican Food Trivia
- Masa is made from maize. Maize (or corn as it is known in the United States) was first cultivated several thousand years ago in what is now Mexico, and remains fundamental in Mexican cuisine to this day.
- Tortillas are made from ground maize and water. A ball of the dough is flattened out and cooked over a comal.
- Carne asada, grilled meat, is generally made with a thin cut of beef, often flank or skirt steak.
- A taco consists of a soft corn or wheat tortilla wrapped around some sort of savory filling. (The so-called taco shells that are crisp and u-shaped are unknown in Mexico.)
- Margaritas are made with tequila. In order to bear the name tequila, the beverage must be produced in only certain areas of Mexico.
- Huevos is the Spanish word for eggs.
- Ajo is the Spanish word for garlic, a key ingredient in many savory dishes from Mexico and around the world.
- Pan de Muerto is made for Mexican Day of the Dead, a holiday which celebrates the lives of one’s ancestor.
- Beans are almost always boiled in a preparation called Pot Beans (frijoles de la olla). They are then eaten as-is and/or used to make other bean dishes such as refried beans.
- Flan is the popular milk-based dessert that is usually covered in caramel. This delicious dish (as did cow’s milk itself) arrived with the Spanish and is much beloved all over Latin America.
- If you got 0 to 4 answers correct, you are a Mexican Cuisine Hopeful and have an amazing and delicious journey of discover ahead of you.
- If you scored between 5 and 8 correct answers, you a Mexican Cuisine Rookie. You know a little bit about Mexican cuisine and are definitely headed in the right direction. Keep going!
- If have 9 or 10 correct answers, you can be considered a Mexican Cuisine Lover. You have mastered the basics of Mexican food knowledge and have probably learned how to prepare a Mexican dish or two. Great job!
Edited by Robin Grose