This wonderful recipe for Mexican Pizza takes the flavors of a taco or a tostada and turns it into a pizza treat. This recipe is packed with flavor and amazing texture combinations, and it's easy to make! Pizza making is a fun, social activity and is a great way to get your kids interested in the kitchen, the food they're eating and get them to love cooking.
This simple recipe is great for a fun, casual pizza party or a family dinner. The combination of ingredients in this dish that are satisfying and hearty.
You can make an easier version of this recipe by using a pre-made pizza crust or focaccia bread instead of the pizza crust in a can. Alternatively, you can make your own pizza dough, or purchase pizza dough from a grocery store or your favorite local pizza parlor.
- 1 pound ground pork or chorizo sausage (raw sausage)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (16 ounce) bottle taco sauce
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies (drained)
- 2 cans pizza dough or enough pizza dough for 2 pizzas
- Cooking spray
- 4 cups shredded Colby-Jack cheese (Monterey Jack cheese is a fine substitute)
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Arrange the racks in the oven so they evenly divide the oven into thirds. You'll use both racks, rotating and moving the pizzas around as they cook.
- In a large skillet, cook the pork with onion and garlic in olive oil over medium heat until the meat is browned, stirring to break up with a fork. Drain if necessary. If you are using chorizo cook the onions until they are tender and then add the chorizo, cooking for a few minutes until the fat is rendered and the meat is well browned. Add the taco sauce, tomato sauce, chili powder, cayenne pepper, and pepper to the onion mixture. Stir well, and simmer on low heat for 5 minutes to blend flavors. Stir in drained green chilies.
- Spray two cookie sheets with non-stick cooking spray and then spread the pizza crust dough onto the sheets. Bake them for 5 to 8 minutes or until they are just set.
- Spread the sauce evenly over both of the pizza crusts. Top evenly with the shredded cheese.
- Bake at 400 F for 20-25 minutes until cheese is melted, bubbly, and begins to brown. Halfway through the cooking time, swap the cookie sheets, so they each have time on the upper and lower baking racks. This will help ensure an even bake on both pizzas. Make sure that the crusts are browned on the bottom and the pizzas have cooked evenly.
You can make this pizza vegetarian by eliminating the meat and adding a can of rinsed and drained kidney beans. Simply saute the onions and garlic in olive oil and then add the beans and proceed with the recipe. Another alternative can be to use 2 cups of soy protein crumbles in place of the meat.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||31 g|
|Saturated Fat||17 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||10 g|
|Dietary Fiber||11 g|