|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 3g||4%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||2%|
|Total Carbohydrate 18g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||10%|
|Total Sugars 4g|
|Vitamin C 15mg||73%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This restaurant-style Mexican rice will rival any you'd find in a Tex-Mex restaurant. The rice is toasted in the skillet with oil for the perfect texture—no mushy rice here. Then it's cooked with tomatoes, onion, garlic, spices, and broth for tons of flavor.
At its heart this dish is rice and peppers, so feel free to add jalapeño peppers for some heat or add a dash of crushed red pepper flakes. Chicken stock can be used in place of the beef stock, or substitute vegetable broth for a vegetarian version. A squeeze of fresh lime is a nice touch.
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup green bell pepper, chopped
1 large clove garlic, minced
1 cup long-grain white rice
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 1/2 cups beef broth, or chicken broth
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
Chopped cilantro, optional
Gather the ingredients.
Add the rice to the skillet and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes, or until the rice has browned slightly.
Add the tomatoes, broth, chili powder, salt, and cumin. Bring to a boil and cover the pan.
Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the liquid has been absorbed, about 20 minutes. Taste and add more salt, if needed.
Garnish with chopped cilantro, if desired. Serve.
How to Store and Freeze Mexican Rice
- Store leftover Mexican rice in a covered container in the fridge for up to three days.
- Reheat in the microwave, stirring a few times, or on the stovetop. Sprinkle with water if it looks dry.
- You can also freeze Mexican rice. Spread out on a flat surface or platter and let cool for a few minutes. Then add to a freezer container or zip-top freezer bag and freeze for up to a month. Defrost in the fridge before reheating.
- Add up to one cup of frozen peas and carrots along with the canned tomatoes.
- Add chopped jalapeño or serrano peppers for some kick.
- You can also make this recipe using brown rice. Add 1/2 cup more broth and cook for 35 to 40 minutes instead of 20.
- Try topping with thinly sliced green onions.
- Add up to a tablespoon of fresh lime juice or serve with lime wedges.
What Is the Difference Between Mexican Rice and Spanish Rice?
In store-bought mixes, Spanish rice and Mexican rice are often used interchangeably on labels. They are both rice cooked with seasonings and tomatoes. Some Spanish rice recipes use saffron for a lovely yellow color.
How Do You Keep Mexican Rice From Getting Mushy?
The key to perfectly textured Mexican rice is to fry the rice in a bit of oil before boiling it. This helps keep the rice from becoming mushy.