Bring some Tex-Mex flavor to your table with these crockpot Mexican beans enhanced with tomatoes, garlic, and chili powder, along with bacon and Mexican seasonings. For a side dish on taco Tuesday or another Mexican-inspired meal, these beans can also be partially mashed for a low-fat alternative to refried beans.
- 1 pound pinto beans (soaked overnight then simmered until tender)
- 4 cups cold water
- 1 cup onion (coarsely chopped)
- 1 14.5 ounce-can tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Optional: 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- Optional: 1/4 pounds salt pork (or bacon, chopped)
- Put all ingredients into crockpot.
- Cover and cook on high for 2 hours, then low for 5 to 7 hours.
If you prefer, these beans can be served as refried beans -- just mash partially before serving.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||5 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Dietary Fiber||10 g|