|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 8 servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 4g||5%|
|Saturated Fat 3g||14%|
|Total Carbohydrate 5g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||1%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
If you like a gooey, melty, flavorful cheese dip, this recipe is for you. And with only 3 ingredients and a short amount of time in the slow cooker, it is a simple and quick appetizer to make, perfect for unexpected guests or a busy weekend. The Velveeta cheese is what guarantees the creaminess, and tomatoes with green chili peppers along with a bit of taco seasoning provide spice, color, and texture. The recipe is easily doubled. Serve with plenty of tortilla chips.
- 8 ounces Velveeta cheese
- 3/4 cup diced tomatoes with green chili peppers (such as Ro-Tel)
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning (or to taste)
Cube Velveeta cheese and place in slow cooker.
Cover and heat on LOW for 30 to 60 minutes, until melted, stirring occasionally.
Stir in tomatoes with chilis and taco seasoning. Cover and continue heating 30 minutes.
Serve hot with tortilla chips or corn chips.
- Although when it comes to slow cookers we are used to setting and forgetting, it is important in this recipe that you stir occasionally while the cheese mixture cooks. Otherwise, you may end up with an uneven, chunky dip.
- If you are not necessarily a fan of this processed cheese, you can make a similar cheese dip using fresh ingredients. Place a medium saucepan over medium-low heat and add 2 tablespoons of butter. When the butter has melted, stir in 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Gradually add 1 cup of milk, stirring constantly. Add 2 cups of shredded cheddar or gruyere cheese to the sauce mixture and stir until melted. Put the mixture in the slow cooker and add the taco seasoning and diced tomatoes with chili peppers; blend well. Keep warm for serving.
- Use a chunky medium or hot salsa in place of the tomatoes with green chili pepper.
- Add 1/2 cup of sautéed sliced mushrooms to the dip.
- About 1/2 cup of sautéed or caramelized chopped onions will add a new depth of flavor to the dip mixture
- And a tablespoon of fresh chopped cilantro sprinkled on just before serving for color and fresh taste.