|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
Not just your average plain white rice, this Mexican-style spin boasts big flavor and texture thanks to frozen veggies and a hit of chile. Rice is inexpensive, and easy to find so you can make this dish as often as you like. To make it a main dish, add in 1-2 cups of cooked chicken or turkey.
- 2 cups white rice (soaked for 20 minutes in warm water)
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 3 cloves garlic (peeled and finely chopped)
- 1 small onion (peeled and chopped)
- 1/2 small chile (seeded and finely chopped, optional)
- 1/3 cup frozen peas (optional)
- 1/3 cup frozen carrots (chopped, optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
Add the rice and water to the pot and cook uncovered for 10 minutes, then cover and reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for another 10 minutes. Check rice and simmer for an additional 5 minute if necessary. Set aside.
As a rice cooks, add the cooking oil to a pan and heat on medium-high. Add the garlic, followed by the onion and chile. Cook until fragrant.
If using, add peas and carrots to the pan and cook until soft, stirring occasionally.
Once the vegetables are ready, add the cooked rice to the pan and mix thoroughly to combine. Add salt, adjusting seasoning if more is needed.
Recipe Tips and Variations
- For extra flavor, you can swap out the water and cook the rice in chicken stock or broth.