|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: Makes 2 cups (8 servings)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 6g||7%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||10%|
|Total Carbohydrate 30g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||5%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Use this rich lemon pastry cream as a filling for a jelly roll style cake or use it as a filling for a layer cake, tart or pie, or pastries. It would be wonderful in cream puffs.
- 3/4 cup Meyer lemon (juice)
- 1 1/4 cups milk (whole)
- 2/3 cup sugar (granulated, divided)
- 6 large eggs (the yolks)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (plus 1 teaspoon more)
- 2 tablespoons flour (all-purpose)
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Gather the ingredients.
- In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, bring the lemon juice, milk, and half of the sugar to a boil.
- Meanwhile, beat the egg yolks with the sugar until thick and light in color, then beat in the cornstarch and flour until smooth and well blended.
- Whisking briskly, add about half of the hot milk mixture to the yolk mixture. Return the hot milk and yolk mixture to the saucepan and continue cooking over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is boiling. Let the mixture boil, stirring, for about half a minute. Stir in the lemon and vanilla flavorings.
- Spoon the lemon pastry cream into a bowl and cover the surface with plastic wrap so it won't form a tough skin. Chill thoroughly and use in pastry, tart, pie, or other desserts.
You Might Also Like