Cooking bacon in the microwave is one of the easiest ways to prepare this delicious meat. It also creates far less mess than cooking bacon on the stovetop. You don't have to turn the bacon and it won't stick to the pan and tear (one of the most frustrating things about sautéing bacon). Better yet, it will be ready in minutes and be perfectly cooked, with that crispy saltiness that makes it so enjoyable.
What You Need
Before you get started, ensure you have a microwave-safe plate that is big enough for the bacon. You will need microwave-safe paper towels (read the label to make sure the paper can be used in the microwave).
Steps to Microwave Bacon
Microwaving bacon is easy, though there is a correct way to do it. Simply follow a few steps and you'll have delicious bacon.
- Line a microwave-safe plate with microwave-safe paper towels.
- Arrange six bacon slices side-by-side on the towels. Make sure the bacon doesn't overlap or the slices won't cook evenly. You can microwave more slices at once, but it may take longer.
- Cover the bacon with another microwave-safe paper towel to prevent splattering.
- Microwave the bacon for 4 to 6 minutes on high power. Rotate the plate after three minutes so the bacon cooks evenly.
- Check the bacon; it should be an even golden brown color. If it still looks transparent, cook it for another 30 seconds. Watch for it to look done. Keep in mind that the bacon will continue cooking, becoming crisper and a little darker as it cools for a few minutes. It's rather easy to burn bacon in the microwave, so watch it carefully to avoid overcooking it.
- Remove the bacon from the plate and let it rest on a fresh paper towel for two to three minutes to drain off the excess fat.
- Use the bacon immediately in recipes, or serve and enjoy it.
Bacon Made for the Microwave
You can find bacon that is ready to microwave. Follow the package directions carefully and make sure you understand the cooking, rotating, and standing times to get the best results.
There's also a shelf stable, fully cooked bacon that you can buy online and in some stores. It is ready to eat right out of the package. You can microwave it to make it crisper and heat it up before serving.
Bacon Microwave Trays
Once you discover the joy of microwaved bacon, consider a small investment in a microwave bacon tray. These are available online and many other retailers. It's a handy kitchen device and you'll love the results. These trays are designed to drain the fat while the bacon's cooking. Some are open-topped and still require using a paper towel on top of your bacon. Other designs include a cover that will keep your microwave clean and splatter-free. They typically are dishwasher-safe for easy clean-up.