Roasted vegetables are such a comfort food. Perfect on a chilly winter's day, roasted veggies are wonderful as a light meal or a side dish to chicken or even a pot roast. The rest thing about making them is that you can really pick and choose what type of vegetables you want to roast. Don't like zucchini? It's okay -- just omit and replace it with something else. Eggplant is also an excellent vegetable to roast. Learn how to roast eggplant.
What's also great about roasted vegetables is that it's easy and can be prepared, cooked, and served in under an hour. For easy cleanup, roast in a shallow pan that is lined with foil. Make sure your spray the foil with cooking spray to prevent sticking first, though.
- 3 small to medium white (or yellow potatoes)
- 1 medium sweet potato (or yam)
- 1 zucchini
- 1 butternut squash
- 4 large carrots (or 1 cup of baby carrots)
- 1 medium red or yellow onion
- 1 green or red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Optional: kosher or sea salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a cookie sheet or shallow baking dish (9x13) with your favorite cooking spray. For easy cleanup, you can line your baking sheet or pan with aluminum foil and then spray with cooking spray to prevent sticking.
- Next, begin to slice and cut vegetables. There is no rule to follow here, but I prefer to slice the carrots, zucchini, squash, onions, and peppers. Potatoes are delicious in cubes or for small white potatoes, in quarters.
- After chopping and slicing, place vegetables in a single layer on baking sheet or in a dish. Drizzle with olive oil. Add desired amount of salt and pepper. Sprinkle with garlic powder, thyme, and cumin.
- Place in heated over and cook for 45 minutes, or until vegetables can be pierced with a fork. Serve immediately.
What to Pair with Roasted Vegetables
Some people also like to serve hummus along with roasted vegetables to use a dipping sauce. Traditional hummus works best in my opinion but there are several varieties that you could use to complement the flavor of the roasted veggies. Hummus can easily be made at home, but due to its increasing popularity, can also be found at most supermarkets. Sometimes you will find it in the deli section in a refrigerated case or by the dips. Learn how to make hummus at home.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||18 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||13 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|