|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 11g||15%|
|Saturated Fat 6g||32%|
|Total Carbohydrate 79g||29%|
|Dietary Fiber 7g||25%|
|Total Sugars 75g|
|Vitamin C 297mg||1,487%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
A fun drink for a New Year's Eve party, the melon ball drop is a fruity green cocktail that everyone's sure to love. Despite the thematic "ball drop" name, this one's so good that you won't want to wait to drink it just once a year!
The vodka martini was created to feature Midori, the brilliant green liqueur with the seductive taste of sweet melons that's a staple in today's bars. It's paired with citrus vodka and highlighted with a delicate elderflower liqueur, such as St. Germain. When you include the sugar rim and the melon ball garnish, it turns out to be a spectacular cocktail that belies just how easy it was to make.
Granulated sugar, for optional rim
1 ounce citrus vodka
2 ounces melon liqueur
1/2 ounce elderflower liqueur
3/4 ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice, from 1/2 lemon
Melon ball, for garnish
Gather the ingredients.
In a cocktail shaker, pour the citrus vodka, melon liqueur, elderflower liqueur, and lemon juice. Fill with ice.
Strain into the prepared glass.
Garnish with a melon ball. Serve and enjoy.
- Use the same lemon you'll juice for the drink to wet the glass rim. Simply cut the lemon in half and wipe one piece around the edge, then squeeze the juice into the shaker.
- To keep your glass cold after rimming, place two or three ice cubes in it while you mix the drink. Dump them out before straining.
- Skewer the melon ball on a cocktail pick and rest it vertically along the side of the glass to complete that "ball drop" look.
- Serve this drink on the rocks in a stemmed wine glass if you like. Just a couple of ice cubes are needed and they'll help the garnish stand up straight.
- Pour another flavored vodka. Almost any will be a good match, though berry, coconut, pineapple, or vanilla would be top choices.
- Add a little sparkle to the glass by pouring a splash of Champagne. There's no need to stir the drink again because the bubbles will do the mixing for you.
How Strong Is a Melon Ball Drop?
Skyy Vodka bottles their flavors at 70 proof rather than vodka's standard of 80 proof (this is typical of flavored vodkas). That starts the drink off a little lighter than you might expect. Like many martinis that look all innocent and fancy, it's not a weak drink. This recipe should shake up to an alcohol content around 23 percent ABV (46 proof). That's the same as a cosmopolitan and just over half the strength of a shot of vodka.