The spider's kiss cocktail has all of the gruesome details you want for a haunting Halloween party. The visual effect combines chocolate spider webs dripping with "blood" (actually, grenadine) surrounding the unmistakable green glow of Midori. It's quite a sight and sure to grab everyone's attention.
This recipe was created by mixologist Victoria D’Amato-Moran for Midori. When you take away all the special effects, it's really just a green melon vodka martini that can work for any occasion. It's in the decorations that it becomes the ultimate ghoulish cocktail, so have fun with it!
Gather the ingredients.
In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, add the Midori, vodka, and lemon juice.
Strain into the prepared glass.
For a blood effect, drizzle grenadine down the side of the glass.
Garnish with a chocolate-dipped orange slice.
Serve and enjoy!
- The webbing can be tricky and you might want to practice before the party to perfect your method. The glasses can be kept frozen until the party, too.
- To get a nice, clean effect with the chocolate syrup you'll need a syrup that is not too runny and you will want to put the glass into the freezer immediately to stop any flow on the inside of the glass. Also, the webs will begin to disappear once the glass begins to warm, so remove them from the freezer just before straining.
- As you pour, the grenadine will sink to the bottom of the glass, just like it does in the tequila sunrise.
- Make the chocolate-dipped orange slices up ahead of time. For martini glasses, cutting a full slice into halves or quarters is a good fit. Melt chocolate in the microwave or a double boiler, then dunk one end of each orange slice in. Set them out on a parchment-lined baking sheet to set up.
- If you want a super clean, sharp look for your web decorations, skip the chocolate syrup. Instead, draw webbing with glass markers on the outside of the glasses. The markers are typically available at craft stores and some wash off while others will not. For this reason, don't use your good martini glasses; pick up inexpensive glassware for this party instead.
How Strong Is a Spider's Kiss Cocktail?