|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 5g||7%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||7%|
|Total Carbohydrate 6g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||2%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Meatloaf is the ultimate comfort food, particularly when it's paired with mashed potatoes or mac and cheese, but the traditional recipe can take an extraordinarily long time to cook. If you're in a rush but don't want to give up the dream of having a comforting meatloaf dinner, tuck the meatloaf mixture into muffin tins. This makes individual servings of meatloaf that don't take nearly as long to bake.
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup onion (finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup carrots (grated)
- 1/2 cup mushrooms (finely chopped)
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley (chopped)
- 1/2 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/4 cup tomato ketchup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 400 F. Saute the onions, carrot, and mushrooms in a large skillet over medium-high heat until the vegetables are tender.
Coat a 12-pan muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
In a large bowl, use a fork to combine ground chicken, egg, onion, carrots, mushrooms, parsley, and breadcrumbs. Add Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, and egg and mix until just combined.
Spoon the mixture into the muffin pan, filling each cup about two-thirds of the way to the top.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, making sure that the internal temperature reaches 170 F.
- This simple recipe can also be made the traditional way by putting the meatloaf in a bread loaf pan and baking for approximately an hour.
- Lean ground chicken isn't high in fat. This is good for your health but not as good for the final product. Add fat to the recipe, if possible, by chopping up bacon and incorporating it into the mix or adding olive oil to the mixture. This makes for a moister meatloaf.
- Don't overmix the meatloaf, or it will end up being tough and dense. Use your clean hands, rather than a spoon, and keep a light touch.
- Meatloaf freezes incredibly well. Let the meatloaf muffins cool and then turn them out into a freezer-safe plastic zip-top bag. For the best quality, eat them within two months of freezing.
- Paleo variation: Eliminate the wheat flour and sub in almond or tapioca flour.
- Bacon and barbecue variation: Lay a strip of raw bacon over the top of the meatloaf muffins and swipe some barbecue sauce across the top.
- Southwest variation: Add a can of drained canned corn, canned green chiles, and a tablespoon of chili powder to the meatloaf mixture.
- Chicken Parmesan variation: Top the meatloaf muffins with approximately a tablespoon of marinara sauce spread evenly over mixture. Once the meatloaves are almost done, remove the pan from the oven and sprinkle 1 tablespoon of shredded mozzarella cheese over the top of each muffin. Return to the oven to bake for 2 to 3 minutes until the cheese has melted.
- Buffalo chicken variation: Mix in sauteed, diced celery, 1/4 cup buffalo wing sauce, and 1 cup of blue cheese crumbles. Serve with Ranch or blue cheese dressing on the side.