The cool, fresh flavor of peppermint melds with rich dark chocolate in these chewy, fudgy Mint Chocolate Chip Brownies. Because they're made with both cocoa powder and melted chocolate, and studded with dark chocolate chips, they're intensely chocolatey -- so much so, that you'll never guess that they're made with olive oil instead of butter. And yes, extra virgin olive oil works beautifully!
Tips: It can be tricky to find good-quality chocolate chips that are pareve, so if you'd like to keep these brownies dairy-free, one option is to chop a pareve dark chocolate bar into small pieces. Or, seek out chips from California Gourmet or Enjoy Life, two companies that are also allergen- and gluten-free.
Peppermint extract can be pretty potent, so stick to the smaller 1/4 teaspoon quantity if you prefer a subtler mint flavor. If you're a big mint fan, 1/2 teaspoon of extract will yield a more bracing peppermint experience.
- 1/4 cup (45 g) chopped dark chocolate or bittersweet chocolate chips, plus 1/4 cup (45 g) bittersweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup (145 g) sugar
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) olive oil (extra virgin is fine)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 3/4 cup (75 g) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (30 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Confectioners' sugar for dusting (optional)
1) Preheat the oven to 350° F (180° C). Grease an 8 X 8 inch baking pan. Melt 1/4 cup (45 g) of dark or bittersweet chocolate in the microwave or the top of a double boiler. Set aside to cool.
2) In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, olive oil, eggs, vanilla, and peppermint extract.
3) In another bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until well combined.
4) Slowly add the melted chocolate, stirring constantly, until it is totally incorporated. Fold in the remaining 1/4 cup (45 g) of chocolate chips.
5) Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan, and smooth the top with a spatula. Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or the top is glossy and a tester inserted into the center of the brownies comes out clean. Cool the brownies in their pan on a wire rack. Dust with confectioners' sugar if desired. Cut into squares to serve. Enjoy!
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||10 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|