Miri Rotkovitz, MA, RD, is the author of the award-winning cookbook "Bubbe and Me in the Kitchen: A Kosher Cookbook of Beloved Recipes and Modern Twists."
Contact Miri at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 17+ years of food and nutrition writing and recipe developing experience
- Created and published hundreds of original recipes
- Registered dietitian
Miri Rotkovitz got her food writing start at the James Beard Foundation, one of the country's most prominent culinary arts organizations. Her culinary interests are diverse—she has written about everything from up-and-coming chefs to baby food, from herbs and spices to environmental food issues. She also studies the kosher food industry and acculturation.
For over 10 years, she has written in varying capacities for The Spruce. In addition to writing about food, Miri develops and presents food demos and cooking classes for audiences ranging from preschool to adult.
Miri's fascination with Jewish culinary history and food traditions has led her to explore the amazingly diverse kosher repertoire developed throughout thousands of years of international migration. She also has a passion for studying general food and nutrition trends, the specialty food industry, international cuisines, and food styling and photography.
Miri earned degrees in theater and American studies from Brandeis University and earned a Master of Arts degree in nutrition and food studies from NYU. Miri is also a registered dietitian with a special interest in prenatal, child, and maternal health.
She completed a dietetic internship at New York Methodist Hospital, where her studies focused on clinical nutrition care and community wellness. She also serves on the editorial board of the "Women’s Health Report," a national publication of the Women's Health dietetic practice group of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
Awards and Publications
- "Bubbe and Me in the Kitchen: A Kosher Cookbook of Beloved Recipes and Modern Twists," 2016. Winner of the 2017 Living Now Book Awards Gold Medal and a 2018 Independent Publisher Book Award Bronze Medal.
- “Kashering the Melting Pot: Oreos, Sushi Restaurants, ‘Kosher Treif,’ and the Observant American Jew,” a study of the kosher food industry and acculturation, which appears in the book "Culinary Tourism." (Ed. Lucy Long. Lexington: The University Press of Kentucky, 2004.)
- Contributed a 135-page "Super Foods" appendix to "Diabetes Self Management's Hidden Secrets of Natural Healing" by Diana W. Guthrie, Ph.D.
About The Spruce
The Spruce, a Dotdash brand, is a new kind of home website offering practical, real-life tips and inspiration to help you create your best home. The Spruce family of brands, including The Spruce, The Spruce Eats, The Spruce Pets, and The Spruce Crafts collectively reach 30 million people each month.
Dotdash is among the largest and fastest growing publishers online, and has won over 50 awards in the last year alone, including Digiday's 2020 Publisher of the Year. Dotdash brands include Verywell, Investopedia, The Balance, The Spruce, Simply Recipes, Serious Eats, Byrdie, Brides, MyDomaine, Lifewire, TripSavvy, Liquor.com, and TreeHugger.