This Japanese-style grilled eggplant is absolutely delicious. The miso paste gives this eggplant a slightly tart, but sweet flavor that is absolutely fantastic. Serve as an appetizer or main dish.
- 6 small Japanese eggplants
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) white miso
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) sake
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) sugar
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) sweet rice wine
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) sesame oil
- Preheat grill for high heat.
- Combine miso, sake, red wine, sugar and mayonnaise in a small mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Slice eggplants in half lengthwise. Make shallow slits on both sides of the cut eggplant. Brush with sesame oil.
- Place eggplant flesh side down on an oiled grill grate. Grill for 4 minutes, or until browned. Turn eggplant and brush a generous amount of miso sauce mixture over flesh side. Grill for another 12-14 minutes over a medium-low heat. Eggplant should be softly yielding when fully cooked.
- Remove from grill and top with sesame seeds.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||4 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|