This breakfast casserole is a tasty combination of eggs, bread, sausage, diced tomatoes and green onions, and Monterey Jack or Cheddar cheese. It's one of our favorite breakfast casserole recipes.
If you prefer bulk sausage, brown some spicy or mild breakfast sausage. Drain the sausage and sprinkle the meat over the bread layer.
- 4 slices bread, crusts removed
- 6 to 8 sausage patties, cooked and drained
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup diced tomato (seeded)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup milk or half-and-half
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Cajun or Creole seasoning or seasoned salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika, optional
- Butter a shallow 2-quart baking dish.
- Tear bread into small pieces and sprinkle in bottom of the prepared baking dish. Arrange sausage patties over the bread; sprinkle with green onion, tomato, then the cheese.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, seasoned salt or Creole seasoning, black pepper, and paprika. Pour the egg mixture evenly over cheese layer.
- Refrigerate overnight or bake immediately.
- If refrigerating overnight, take the casserole out of the refrigerator about 30 minutes before baking. Bake at in a preheated 350 F oven for 40 to 45 minutes, until set in the center.
- The minimum safe temperature for eggs is 160 F. If in doubt, check with an instant-read thermometer.
Serves 4 to 6.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||15 g|
|Saturated Fat||8 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|