This sinfully rich Mississippi mud pie has an ice cream base (vanilla and coffee flavors) in a cookie crumb or graham cracker crust topped with bourbon, fudge sauce, pecans and sweetened whipped cream.
The pie must be frozen overnight or at least for four hours before serving so plan accordingly.
- 2 pints vanilla ice cream
- 2 tablespoons bourbon or a flavored syrup (DaVinci type), such as vanilla or Kahlua flavor
- 1 chocolate cookie crumb crust or graham cracker crumb crust
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate (coarsely chopped)
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon bourbon (or use 1 teaspoon vanilla and an extra tablespoon of cream)
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 2 pints coffee ice cream
- Garnish: sweetened whipped cream or purchased whipped topping
Make the Pie
Soften the vanilla ice cream in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes. Mix in the 2 tablespoons of bourbon or flavored syrup and then spread it evenly over the prepared crust.
Freeze until ready to assemble.
Make the Fudge Sauce
In a microwaveable bowl, combine chocolate, brown sugar, granulated sugar, heavy cream, and corn syrup and microwave about 3 minutes, whisking every 30 to 60 seconds.
When the mixture has thickened somewhat, whisk in butter, vanilla, and bourbon. Keep warm.
Assemble the Pie
Remove pie from freezer. Top with half the fudge sauce and half of the chopped pecans and freeze for about an hour.
Soften the coffee ice cream, and spread over the now firm first layer. Mound the coffee ice cream in the center as necessary.
Top with more fudge sauce, reserving some to be passed at the table, and chopped pecans. Decorate with whipped cream and cover loosely. Freeze overnight or at least four hours and serve with additional warm fudge sauce.