Who needs the mess of a deep fryer when you can get flavorful chicken from your oven? This chicken is coated with a little butter and seasoned crumbs, then it's baked in a hot oven.
Use a combination of chicken legs and thighs or a cut-up whole chicken in the recipe. If you use boneless chicken, baking time will be shorter.
Fried chicken couldn't be easier!
- 1 broiler-fryer chicken, about 2 to 2 1/2 cups, cut into 8 pieces
- 1/2 cup fine dry breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil or melted butter
- Heat the oven to 425 F.
- Lightly oil a large, shallow baking pan or spray it with olive oil spray.
- Combine the breadcrumbs, salt, paprika, and pepper. Brush each piece of chicken with vegetable oil or melted butter and then roll in crumb mixture.
- Arrange the chicken pieces in the prepared baking pan, skin side up.
- Bake the coated chicken pieces in the preheated oven for about 35 to 45 minutes, or until chicken is tender and juices run clear.
- According to the USDA guidelines, chicken must be cooked to the minimum safe temperature of 165 F (or above). Use a reliable food thermometer or instant-read thermometer to check for doneness. Insert the thermometer into the thickest part of the chicken, not touching bone or gristle.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||32 g|
|Saturated Fat||6 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||17 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|