Technically, this is a fruitcake, but it's far from the traditional fruitcake. Instead of candied fruit, this one uses dried fruits, including cranberries, cherries, strawberries, and blueberries for a new taste in each bite. Fruited cream cheese frosting is the icing on the cake.
If you dry your own fruit through the year, this is a lovely way to enjoy them come the holidays. Or, you can browse the bulk bins at the grocery or specialty market for a variety of dried fruit.
Depending on how you cut the cake, you can get 24 or more servings. Or, far less if you cut larger squares.
Most markets sell bags of mixed dried fruits so you don't need to buy individual bags of each fruit. If you are allergic to a particular fruit, feel free to omit it and substitute with another. You may also substitute the total amount of dried mixed fruits with a single dried fruit.
- For the Cake:
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted but cooled to room temperature
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 large eggs (at room temperature)
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar (granulated)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/4 cups dried mixed fruit (cranberries, cherries, blueberries, strawberries - see Note), coarsely chopped into 1/2-in
- For the Frosting:
- 4 ounces cream cheese (at room temperature)
- 2 tablespoons butter (at room temperature)
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup dried mixed fruits
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
Pour hot water over the dried fruit to cover. Let steep to plump, about 15 minutes, then drain thoroughly.
Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a 9 x 13-inch pan with non-stick foil.
Add the flour mixture to wet ingredients in the large bowl. Stir just until combined. Fold in the chopped dried fruit.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing to even it. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out cleanly and the top is lightly browned.
Completely cool to room temperature.
Frosting: Cut butter and cream cheese into 1-inch chunks and place in food processor. Add vanilla extract, chopped dried fruit, and confectioners' sugar. Process until smooth. Spread the frosting evenly over the cooled cake.
Refrigerate 1 hour to set frosting. Serve cake at room temperature.