Does your family enjoy all baked goods with bananas in them? Then have we got a special treat for you! This recipe is a bit more grown up, with bourbon (just a little, and most of the alcohol burns of during baking), semisweet chocolate chunks, crème fraîche (available in well-stocked supermarkets, cheese stores, and online).
Make sure you don’t over blend the batter, which won’t yield as tender a cake. Serve this treat with billows upon billows of whipped cream.
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 4 very ripe bananas (about 1 1/2 cups mush; peeled and mashed)
- 1/4 cup crème fraîche
- 3 tablespoons bourbon
- 1 cup semisweet or bittersweet chocolate (chopped)
- Optional: sweetened whipped cream, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Spray a 9x9-inch cake pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, mix together the flour and salt.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until lightly and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Blend in the mashed bananas and crème fraîche, and stir in the bourbon.
- Switch to a wooden spoon and add the flour mixture and chocolate in batches to the batter, mixing just until each addition is incorporated. At the end the batter should be barely blended. Scrape the batter into the prepared cake pan.
- Bake for about 40 minutes, until a wooden skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then gently turn the cake out of the pan, and cool it upright on a wire rack. Serve with whipped cream.
Vanilla Crème Fraîche Banana Muffins
You can bake the batter in muffins tins that have been sprayed with nonstick baking spray, and lined with muffins liners. Bake for about 23 to 25 minutes. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then turn the muffins out of the pan and finishing cooling them upright on the wire rack.
Make Ahead Tip:
This cake will last in a tightly sealed container or tightly wrapped in plastic wrap for up to 3 days without drying out much, thanks to the bananas and dairy. You can also freeze it very easily: cool it completely and wrap it in plastic wrap, then slide the wrapped caked into a large freezer-proof zipper top bag. It will keep frozen for at least 3 months. Thaw at room temperature before serving.
For the Sweetened Whipped Cream:
- 3/4 cups heavy or whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar
In a mixing bowl, using a whisk or a hand mixer, combine the cream and confectioners’ sugar just until slightly firm peaks are formed. This will keep for up to 4 days in the refrigerator.