These moist and delicious banana cupcakes are lightly sweetened and topped with a drizzling of vanilla icing or a thicker vanilla frosting. This recipe makes 2 dozen fabulous banana cupcakes.
- 1/2 cup butter (softened)
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (10 ounces)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mashed bananas (ripe, about 3 large bananas)
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- For the Icing:
- 6 tablespoons butter (melted)
- 2 1/4 cups powdered sugar (or a little more for a thicker frosting)
- 2 to 4 tablespoons of milk (or cream, enough for desired consistency)
Prepare the Cupcakes
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 Celcius/Gas 4). Line two 12-cup muffin tins with paper cupcake liners.
- Cream the butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in 1 teaspoon of vanilla.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk to blend thoroughly.
- To the creamed mixture, add about one-third of the flour mixture, half of the mashed banana, and half of the buttermilk; beat until well blended. Repeat with another one-third of the flour mixture and the remaining banana and buttermilk; beat well. Finish with the remaining flour mixture; beat until well blended.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling each about half full.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until the cupcakes test done. A wooden pick should come out clean when inserted into a cupcake.
- Cool completely before frosting.
Make the Icing
- In a large mixing bowl combine the 6 tablespoons of melted butter, the confectioners' sugar, and 2 tablespoons of milk or cream and the 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer, adding more milk or confectioners' sugar until you reach the desired frosting or drizzling consistency.
- Drizzle the cooled cupcakes with a thin icing or frost or pipe a thicker frosting onto the cupcakes.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||10 g|
|Saturated Fat||5 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|