Bake this moist, delicious chocolate cake in a Bundt cake pan or tube pan. This is an excellent cake to make for guests or to take along to a potluck or family event.
Drizzle the easy chocolate glaze over this cake, or use your own favorite glaze on the cake. A mocha or orange glaze would be delicious choices as well or use a vanilla glaze. Or simply dust the cake with sifted powdered sugar and serve with berries or warm preserves.
- 2 cups/9 ounces all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup/8 ounces butter (room temperature)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/3 cup very strong coffee (cooled)
- 2/3 cup milk
- Optional Chocolate Glaze:
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate (melted)
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate (melted)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons boiling water (or a slight bit more, as needed)
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat the oven to 350 F/180 C/Gas 4.
- Generously grease and flour a 12-cup Bundt cake pan or similar tube cake pan.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Mix well to blend thoroughly.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the 1/2 cup of butter and the granulated sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat the eggs and egg whites into the creamed mixture and then beat in the 1 tablespoon of vanilla.
- In a small bowl or cup, combine the coffee and milk.
- Beat about one-third of the cocoa and flour mixture into the creamed mixture, then beat in half of the coffee and milk mixture. Repeat with another one-third of the flour mixture and the remaining coffee and milk mixture. Add the remaining one-third of the flour mixture and beat until well blended.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared Bundt cake pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick or wood skewer comes out clean when inserted in the cake.
- Cool in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes, then invert onto the rack to cool completely.
- Drizzle the optional glaze (below) over the cake or dust with sifted powdered sugar.
Optional Chocolate Glaze
- In a bowl or pan over simmering water, combine the semisweet chocolate, unsweetened chocolate and the 2 tablespoons of butter. Stir until the mixture is melted and smooth.
- Remove from the heat and beat in the powdered sugar, boiling water, a pinch of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla.
- Drizzle the glaze over the cooled cake.
Because Bundt cakes and tube cakes are deep, use longer bamboo or wooden skewers to test for doneness.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|