Bake this moist, delicious chocolate cake in a Bundt cake pan or tube pan. This makes an excellent cake to make for guests, or take it along to a potluck or family event.
Drizzle the easy chocolate glaze over this cake or use your own favorite glaze on the cake. A mocha or orange glaze would be delicious choices, as well, or use a vanilla glaze. Or, simply dust the cake with sifted powdered sugar and serve with berries or warm preserves.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, 9 ounces
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (8 ounces) butter (room temperature)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/3 cup very strong coffee (cooled)
- 2/3 cup milk
- Optional Chocolate Glaze:
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate (melted)
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate (melted)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons boiling water, or a slight bit more, as needed
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat the oven to 350 F (180 C/Gas 4).
- Generously grease and flour a 12-cup Bundt cake pan or similar tube cake pan.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Mix well to blend thoroughly.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the 1/2 cup of butter and the granulated sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat the eggs and egg whites into the creamed mixture and then beat in the 1 tablespoon of vanilla.
- In a small bowl or cup, combine the coffee and milk.
- Beat about one-third of the cocoa and flour mixture into the creamed mixture, then beat in half of the coffee and milk mixture. Repeat with another one-third of the flour mixture and the remaining coffee and milk mixture. Add the remaining one-third of the flour mixture and beat until well blended.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared Bundt cake pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick or wood skewer comes out clean when inserted in the cake.
- Cool in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes, then invert onto the rack to cool completely.
- Drizzle the optional glaze (below) over the cake or dust with sifted powdered sugar.
Optional Chocolate Glaze
- In a bowl or pan over simmering water, combine the semisweet chocolate, unsweetened chocolate, and the 2 tablespoons of butter. Stir until the mixture is melted and smooth.
- Remove from the heat and beat in the powdered sugar, boiling water, a pinch of salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla.
- Drizzle the glaze over the cooled cake.
Because Bundt cakes and tube cakes are deep, use longer bamboo or wooden skewers to test for doneness.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||21 g|
|Saturated Fat||11 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||7 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|