Here's a flavorful banana bread from Mitzi, made with chocolate chips and mashed ripe bananas. The chocolate chips add just enough chocolate flavor to the bread. If you like nuts in your banana bread, feel free to add about 1/2 cup of chopped pecans or walnuts.
Are your bananas still too firm to make banana bread? Here's one way to ripen them very quickly. Place the unpeeled bananas on a foil-lined baking sheet and bake in a preheated 350° F oven for about 15 minutes, or until blackened.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 ounces butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups mashed bananas
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Heat the oven to 325° F (165° C/Gas 3). Grease and flour a 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pan.
- Cream sugar and butter; beat in the mashed bananas, eggs, and vanilla.
- Combine dry ingredients and stir into the first mixture just until moistened.
- Fold in chocolate chips until well incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Cover the pan loosely with a tent of aluminum foil.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking for 30 to 40 minutes or until wooden pick inserted tests done.
- Cool in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes and then remove the bread from the pan to cool completely before slicing.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||15 g|
|Saturated Fat||8 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|